Education Session: “Board Diversity”
LAYING THE GROUNDWORK BEFORE DIVERSIFYING YOUR ORGANIZATION
In this session, Nikki McCord of MCG will discuss the actions board members should take before recruiting a board director who brings diversity to the organization. Attendees will learn why diversity is an asset, what the research says about homogeneity and conflict, the importance of a diversity statement, and how to use the diversity statement to recruit new board directors.
● Learn why diversity is an asset & how to communicate it
● Understand the importance of a diversity statement & its elements
● Master how to use the diversity statement to recruit diverse board directors
● What the research says about diversity as an asset
● How to recruit for diversity and the use of a diversity statement
● How to avoid tokenism
Importance of Topics: Organizations are sincere in their desire for diversity and inclusion. However, when they do not lay the groundwork for this change within their organization, they can falter and not achieve success, frustrating staff, candidates, and funders. This session gives organizations the foundation to think thoughtfully about diversity to ensure the entire organization is ready for this change that will benefit not only the organization, but perspective candidates as well.