Build Your Social Impact Business Plan
Develop your strategy for a program or venture that generates revenue and impact.
|DATES||June – July, 2023|
|LENGTH||9 weeks, 2-5 hours per week|
|OPEN TO||Metro Denver-based social enterprises, both nonprofit and for-profit|
|FORMAT||Cohort – a group of 6-10 organizations|
Mix of in-person sessions held at the SVP Denver office and virtual Zoom sessions. See program schedule below for details.
|DEADLINE||Apply by Friday, April 28th|
Have questions? Interested in other dates? Let us know!
What you’ll learn
Get expert advice and peer support from other Colorado-based impact leaders to enhance your organization’s social impact business plan.
Your organization’s social impact business plan ensures that all your work aligns with your vision, resonates with your community, and makes financial sense. Within this cohort, you and your team will work together to write the social impact business plan that supports your revenue model, or helps you start a new one!
We will examine all parts of your venture that contribute to generating strong revenues including refining your minimum viable product/service, gathering customer feedback, marketing your offer, gathering partner support, and managing resources in a way that allows sustainable profits.
WHO IS THIS PROGRAM FOR?
> Social venture founders
> Executive Directors
> Operations Officers
> Board Members
> New (ish) organizations looking to generate revenue
> Established organizations with new leadership or outdated revenue models
MEET THE FACILITATOR
Strategic consultant and leadership expert
Founder & CEO, Working Within
Charlyn is the founder of Working Within, a resource platform that provides personal partnership and business acumen to Black social enterprise leaders to scale their impact and create sustainability. With previous experience in C-Suite management and strategy consulting, Charlyn partners with clients to drive strategic shifts, build organizational effectiveness and capacity, and reinforce social capital. She also hosts the Working Within podcast to amplify clients’ missions.
Charlyn holds a B.S. in Business Administration and has been recognized for her leadership involvement with diversity and inclusion. She is the President of the Young Professionals Inclusive Leadership Council for GlobalmindEd and a 2022 Connect Leadership Fellow for the Urban Leadership Foundation of Colorado. Charlyn speaks often about her personal mission, social impact, leadership, and mindset.
OUTCOMES & BENEFITS
Why join the Social Impact Business Plan cohort?
WHAT YOU’LL WALK AWAY WITH
By the end of this program you will have:
- A social impact business plan that can guide your next round of revenue planning including your value proposition, marketing strategy, partnership strategy, and resource needs
- Direct community feedback on opportunities for your organization to expand over the next few years
Participation should create the following impacts:
- Increased alignment around north star goals for programs tied to your organization’s revenue model
- Stronger positioning of your organization alongside other organizations doing similar work
- Greater understanding of resources needed to grow your organization’s revenue potential
- The reinforced skillset of bringing together creativity and analysis to critically evaluate organizational goals
- A way to evaluate organization progress, needs, or adjustments from a business perspective
Each organization will get paired with 1-2 local professionals who will provide support throughout the program. These professionals will have relevant experience and can offer another set of eyes and a third-party perspective to the work you produce. They will:
- Join group calls to discuss plans and progress
- Review weekly projects and send back notes, comments and ideas
PEER LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
As part of this program, you’ll also connect with fellow participants from CO-based impact organizations:
- In Person Sessions: Three live sessions for people to check in, share learnings, and collaborate in groups.
- Zoom Session: Two live sessions for people to check in, share learnings, and collaborate in groups.
- Individual Connections: You’ll be welcome to follow up with other participating teams to connect.
More about this training cohort
The group will meet every other week. The three in-person sessions will be held at the SVP Denver office located at the Clayton Early Learning Campus. Please check your calendar and ensure you are able to attend all of these session dates.
- Session 1: Finding Your Mission & Minimum Viable Service (In-Person) Thursday, June 1st
- Session 2: Understanding Who You Serve and Who Serves You (In-Person) – Thursday, June 15th
- Session 3: What Makes You Different (Virtual) – Thursday, June 22nd
- Session 4:Resourcing Your Needs (Virtual) – Thursday, July 13th
- Session 5: Social Impact Business Plan Pitching w/ Guest Judges (In-Person) – Thursday, July 27th
For best results from this training cohort, we recommend attending all sessions, or at least four of the five planned times. To get the most out of the program, we suggest you set aside 2–5 hours per week:
- 1.5 hours – to join live sessions with your team. Please check the session dates to make sure you are able to attend them all!
- 2-3 hours – to work on follow-up session team projects.
YOUR PARTICIPANTS & ROLES
Each participating social mission organization is encouraged to have multiple people participate (2-5 is typical). You should have:
- Internal Project Lead: This person will be the internal facilitator of their organization’s Social Impact Business Plan creation and is accountable for ensuring all team projects are delivered to coaches and the cohort facilitator. This person should have 3 – 5 hours per week to commit over the duration of the cohort.
- Operations Team Members: This should be a small group of 2-6 staff, leadership and Board members you’d like to engage in the process, who have some involvement in the revenue-generating piece of your business. Their participation is more flexible, usually 2-3 hours per week.
What other SVP Denver cohort participants say
“I think the [theory of change] cohort probably saved us a year in terms of understanding what we do and why and for whom.”
Free Range Beehives
“You have given us the tools needed and a good foundation for crafting and presenting a winning pitch to investors, customers and partners. Each and every one of you have been instrumental with preparing our group to create and deliver a (tailored) pitch with passion.”
Program Manager, African Leadership Group
“We gained a tremendous amount from this cohort—having external unaltered feedback from various people with key components to keep in mind has strengthened our approach greatly!”
Executive Director, Mile High Youth Corps
“Our team had many fruitful conversations that helped us to examine the how, and more importantly, the what and the why of our work. These conversations not only help us communicate with stakeholders more effectively, but in guiding our own strategic planning efforts.”
-Tracy Flowers, Access Opportunity
“[We gained] a clear deliverable to use in messaging our work, clarity on our core theory of change and more ability to communicate concisely about it to outsiders”
–Roger Low, Colorado Equitable Mobility Initiative
of past participants would recommend
Frequently asked questions
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
We are still working on formulating an idea for an earned revenue program / social enterprise. Are we too early stage for this program?
Not necessarily! We will consider idea stage program/ventures and encourage you to apply. Know that you will likely have to work a bit harder in this program to keep up with the pace. We think you’ll get the most out of the experience if you’ve already tested your ideas with real potential customers / beneficiaries and highly encourage you to do this prior to participating.
Will we get any funding or access to capital as part of this program?
No direct funding is included. By going through the program, you will gain a better understanding of the type of resources you’ll need to support your work and have a clearer idea of the type of capital that might be a fit. SVP Denver has a lot of connections to funders and resources available to help you identify good places to look for funding to grow your initiatives. We’ll do what we can to support and believe this will be a meaningful step toward scaling your impact!
Why is this training free for my organization?
SVP Denver is a nonprofit that connects nonprofits and social enterprises with the expertise and support they need to grow their impact. We are primarily funded through grants and individual donations that allow us to offer our high value training for free (or at highly subsidized rates). We are committed to making our programs accessible to all organizations – especially those with inequitable access to resources.
How flexible is the program? I’m not sure I can make all the sessions.
Somewhat flexible! At least one leader from your organization should be available to join all of the live sessions since you will also have time to work with designated mentors and your team during this time. The coaching sessions will be scheduled at mutually agreed upon times that match your schedule.
You should be prepared to commit regular hours to this program throughout the 9 week duration. If you believe that you’ll be gone or unavailable for any extended period of time from June to July 2023, please note that in your application.
Apply for Build Your Social Impact Business Plan now.
Have questions? Interested in other dates? Let us know!
MORE OPPORTUNITIES FROM SVP DENVER
You may also be interested in…
Other Training Cohorts
We run other training cohorts with different topics and facilitators. View our website to see what is being offered.
Need quick answers to a pressing challenge? We’ll handpick a diverse group of experts for a 90-minute solution session.
Need expert support on a multi-month strategic project, but can’t afford a consultant? SVP Denver Partners want to help, for free.